Visually’s Marketplace connects thousands of designers with clients seeking to commission infographics and data visualizations. Every week, we feature a member of our designer community here, on the blog. If you are interested in participating, please contact us at blog[at]visual.ly.
Name: Lawrence Whiteley
On Visually: Wond
In Design: 12+ years
1. Tell us a bit about yourself: how did you get into design, and how long have you been doing it?
I’ve always been a creator at heart. My greatest reward is to make things of value for others. I’d be happy as a musician, chef or painter (I’ve been a little of all three), but with the internet and design I am discovering ways I can do this on a bigger scale.
2. In 7 words or less, describe your style.
Evolving, experimental, innovative, never sitting still.
3. If you could take a seminar with one designer or artist, dead or living, who would that be? Why?
Just one, so tricky… Thomas Heatherwick. One gifted designer with fabulous ideas and of a few who prove great design can infiltrate and benefit so many disciplines. OR Mark Rothko: please, Mark, teach me to paint.
4. What’s your favorite color? Why?
No favourites, just moods, times, places.
5. What is the biggest mistake you’ve made in your work and what did you learn from it?
Undercharging for work, I’m sure many can appreciate this, sometimes projects seem to inflate once you’ve agreed to a price, swelling out of control, lowering your hourly rate to packets of chewing gum.
6. What about your biggest achievement? Tell us about the project you are most proud of in your career so far.
I’m virtually location independent, digital nomad style. I need internet, a laptop and clean underwear to exist, awesome. I am most proud of my work with EpikCV.com. Now CEO of the new venture, bringing visualisation into recruitment. It’s not all fancy graphs, but utilising great design and thinking to revolutionise the space; fundamentally helping more people get work.
7. Who should we feature in this space next?
Have to go for a Brit, Jack Hagley or David McCandless please.