Since humans developed language, we have been naming, categorizing, and classifying the things around us. Building these hierarchies and ordering things is how we understand the world. We’ve built taxonomies for almost every topic you can imagine, and many of them are a perfect fit for charting and visualizing. Here are 20 visualized taxonomies, grouped into popular categories like food, drink, life, music, and (of course) super powers.
- Condiments go on or in so much food, they seem like a good place to start.
- Vegetables are definitely good for you, even if you don’t like to eat them. But, you can probably find at least one that you do like in a taxonomy this comprehensive.
- If you don’t like vegetables, maybe meat is your thing? Cuts of Beef shows every possible cut from cows, where it comes from, how to cook it and approximate cost.
- Cheese comes from cows (and other mammals), and there is a ton of diversity in your cheese choices.
- If you’re looking for more of a pre-assembled meal, Fish and Chips can show you all of the possible combinations for the iconic meal.
- Beer is a great way to finish off a meal (in moderation of course).
- And if you want to know Who Owns Each Beer Brand, there’s a taxonomy for that too.
- Wine is another fine drink to have with a meal, and seeing them all organized into a hierarchy can help you choose which one.
- Many people like coffee, but finding the right flavor can be hard. Luckily, the Coffee Flavor Wheel shows you a comprehensive list.
- And for something a little lighter, Tea is a great drink.
- Arse is a very versatile word, and gets used for many different things.
- Equally diverse is that which every arse creates: Sh&*.
- The fictional universe of the X-Men has its own family tree.
- The X-Men all have special abilities, and of course there are taxonomies about the powers themselves.
- And if one wasn’t enough, there’s a more in-depth taxonomy of super powers.
- How Music Travels shows both a taxonomy of musical styles and the influences and interactions between styles.
- And even if you break it down to one genre, there are still things like Rapper Names to categorize.
- Even life itself can be made into a taxonomy.
- Some might argue that life is all about Ideas. Whether or not you agree, there’s a taxonomy for ideas.
- Unfortunately, all life ends eventually. 20th Century Death shows how it usually happens to people in recent times.
Food taxonomies are probably the most popular: after all, who doesn’t love food?
After you’ve eaten, it’s time to wash it all down.
Language is interesting because it’s what we use to create taxonomies, but it can also be the subject of a taxonomy.
Things don’t have to be real to be classified – and we have always been fascinated with special abilities.
Music is a natural topic to categorize.
This is a huge category because it encompasses everything we do and everything that lives on the planet with us.